Ok, I think I ordered the wrong thing. I read rave reviews of Pio Maya on Yelp and then I googled it and read even more rave reviews: the thing is, I couldn’t believe that I was finally reading about a cheap Mexican place that people kept praising for its excellent, fresh food. And, it wasn’t in Brooklyn or way uptown somewhere- it was on 8th street, right in between Ali Babas and Union Square. So we went on Monday. While my friend did LOVE his steak burrito (he says its the best he’s had on the east coast, aside from Anna’s), I wasn’t too thrilled with my nachos.
So cheesy!! And I love cheese! But seriously, this plate of nachos was about 5 chips and 5 pounds of cheese. And I got the “Super Nachos” because they came with black beans…but I only had a handful of black beans. The beans were good, the guac was really tasty, and the jalapenos were spicy. But the dish was completely disproportionate, with cheese comprising about 75% of it, and the chips, beans, guac, and jalapenos scrambling for some face time in the other 25%. But I really want to go again and order something different, because with so many people loving this place, I need to give it another chance…because I am desperate to find cheap and delicious Mexican in this city.
Pio Maya is a nice enough place to eat in, though. It’s not kind of gross and dingy, like the take-out Mexican places run by people who are not at all Mexican. It’s clean, and had about 10 tables, and nice big windows that let in the sunlight. If I like the next thing I eat from here, I’ll be happy, because then I will have finally reached a middle ground between the take-out Mexican made by Asians and the super over-priced trendy Mexican places I haven’t eaten at yet because I’m too scared the food won’t be excellent and then I’ll have wasted a bunch of money on trendiness.
Pio Maya is at 40 west 8th street. (near the west 4th street stop).